Writer in Residence - Call for Expressions of Interest 2013
Call for Expressions of Interest
Looking for a setting to inspire? Spend four months writing in beautiful Vancouver, British Columbia – home to a remarkable natural environment and a lively cultural community.
From August 12 to November 29, 2013, the Vancouver Public Library will host a resident author. The Writer in Residence program, now entering its ninth year, promotes Canadian writing and literature to Vancouver citizens. The aims of the residency are to foster greater appreciation for Canadian writing, provide opportunities to interact with the resident author and to provide the space, time and resources for a Canadian author to write.
The Writer in Residence will provide advice to emerging writers through one-to-one consultations, workshops and seminars as well as outreach to targeted communities. This full-time position (35 hours/week) requires 25% of the author’s time be spent on Library programs or projects, leaving 75% of the work week available for creative writing.
Applicants must identify in their cover letter the innovative ways their residency would foster an appreciation for Canadian writing. Residencies that involve communities not typically exposed to Canadian literature are particularly encouraged.
- Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada.
- Minimum of one critically well-received title published professionally: fiction, short stories, poetry, drama or literary non-fiction.
- Professional teaching or public speaking experience.
- Comfortable and willing to engage with the public one-on-one and in group settings.
- Active participant in the writing community.
- In the early working stage of a new writing project intended for book-length publication.
- $4000/month (contract position).
- Assistance available for travel expenses.
*The successful candidate is responsible for finding his or her own accommodation.
Expressions of interest must include:
Cover letter - including a clearly delineated plan for public programming during the residency.
Resume - including a history of literary publications, previous teaching experience and/or
Contact information for three referees.
A 20- to 30-page sample of recent writing along with reviews of earlier works.
* Once a short-list of candidates has been determined, the selection committee will request three letters of reference from each of the short-listed applicants and an interview will be scheduled.
- Completed applications must be received by 5 PM (PST) on Friday, January 11, 2013.
- Applications can be mailed or e-mailed as a Word document.
ATTN: Writer in Residence Selection Committee, c/o Amber Ritchie
Vancouver Public Library
Level 7, 350 W. Georgia St., Vancouver, BC V6B 6B1
* Terms of employment based on Canada Council guidelines.
* Position and length of term subject to Canada Council funding.