Facilities at the Central Library
The following is a list of facilities and features available at the Central Library:
- The book drop for the Central Library is located on the Hamilton Street side of Library Square. It is situated at the base of a tall metallic funnel, near the loading entrance.
- Open 24 hours a day. Books returned during open hours will be checked in the same day. Books returned after hours will be backdated to the last open day.
Bill Changing Machines
- Bill Changing Machines are located on Levels 2, 3 and 4, and provide change in $1 and $2 coins.
The computers at the Central Library provide the following access:
- Library Catalogue
- Electronic Resources
- Internet (Wheelchair accessible Internet computers available on level 3 and 6)
- OpenOffice software
- PC Booking
- Drinking fountains are available on Levels 2 - 6 and are located by the washrooms on the North side of the building.
Elevators & Escalators
- Two public elevators provide access to all levels of the library.
- Escalator access is available for Levels 2 - 7.
- These light-filled rooms for up to 6-8 people are some of the most beautiful in the building and are situated on the ends of the reading arcades. Glass walls surround and provide a 360 degree view of the city and the library interior. We also have an assortment of rental spaces.
- Please note that there is a free first-come, first-served procedure for these rooms -- daily sign-up is at the Information desk.
Gallery Rooms 2-Hour Use Procedure
- In order to allow access to all Vancouver Public Library patrons, the following fair use procedure applies to the Gallery Rooms:
- Free use by any group, portion of a group or individual is limited to two (2) consecutive hours per day.
- Sign up will be done in person.
- Sign up will be on the same day as use of room.
- Users must be in the room by 15 minutes after sign up start time or booked time will be lost.
- Additional two-hour reservations may be available space allowing.
- Abuse of this policy may result in loss of library privileges.
- Parking is available 5 am to midnight, 7 days a week at Library Square. The entrance to the parkade is on Hamilton Street near Robson.
- The parkade is managed by EasyPark Vancouver, who can be contacted on 604-682-6744 (office) or 604-669-4183 (Library Square parkade).
- Information on hourly, special event & monthly rates for the library parking lot can be found on the EasyPark lot 27 page.
- Payment can be made by cash, cheque, Visa, or MasterCard. A parking attendant is on duty from 6:30am Monday through Saturday, from 11:30 am Sunday.
- 2 hour meter parking is also available around Library Square. Meters are in effect 7 days per week, including holidays, from 9am to 8pm.
Photocopying, Printing & Scanning
- Photocopiers are located throughout the Central library. They are located ahead and to the right of each 'up' escalator on Levels 3 - 6.
- There is a Bookmaster copier in Special Collections on Level 7, which protects the spines of special materials.
- Coin operated network printers are available on every floor except level 5 in the Central Library and are used to print from our computers and to scan documents to USB & email.
- Photocopying and printing costs.
Copy Cards are available for purchase:
- $5, $10 and $20 copy cards are available on Levels 2 and 7 (cash, credit or debit).
- Copy cards have no expiry date. No refunds are given for unused amounts left on copy cards.
- Public telephones are available on Levels 2, 4-6 on the reverse side of the elevators.
- Public washrooms are available on every level except Level 7. They are located on the North side of the building and have handicapped-accessible stalls.
- A single unit washroom large enough to accommodate a person in a wheelchair or on a gurney is available on Level 2. Please ask for the key at the main Information Desk.
- Change tables for babies are located in the women's public washrooms Levels 2, 4 and 6. Change tables are also located in the public washrooms in the Children's Division on the Lower Level.