Diversity and Inclusion Statement
It is the responsibility of Canadian public institutions, including libraries, to support a society that respects diversity and fosters social inclusion. Vancouver Public Library is responsible for working with its communities to create services that diverse communities identify as respectful, inclusive, and accessible.
The library strives to deliver inclusive service, affirming the dignity of those they serve, regardless of heritage, education, beliefs, ethnicity, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, physical or mental health, physical or cognitive capabilities, or socio-economic status. Library staff acts to ensure that people can enjoy services free from any attempt by others to impose values, customs or beliefs. (Adapted from the CLA Statement on Diversity.)
VPL staff will:
- Identify populations that may be under-represented or hard to reach based on diverse life circumstances.
- Seek to understand how diverse community groups define and describe themselves.
- Listen directly to communities rather than relying on indirect sources such as statistical reports, other public libraries, or community service providers.
- Work with diverse communities to develop inclusive consultation and engagement processes.
- Work with diverse communities to determine appropriate ways to design, deliver, and evaluate services.
This statement is intended to provide a fuller context for library staff who works with Vancouver’s diverse communities, and a framework from which to consider how VPL understands diversity and responds to community needs.
Approved by Library Board: June 23, 2010
Related Policies: Community Engagement Values Statement and the Customer Service Statement